To do this, you will need the following items:
- Yi Dashcam. CABACA serial/model, grey color. I only had the gray to try, but there is a forum post where the original tutorial was posted – where it says the black version will NOT work! Proceed with caution if you have the black one.
- A USB charger with at least 1A output.
- A computer with an SD card reader. (most laptops have a reader)
- The attached “FWCARC10 (4).bin” file.
- The attached “Emergency Aid” “FWCARC10.bin” (this can be downloaded from here directly: https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-smart-dash-camera-firmware)
- Take out the memory card from the camera
- Insert card into your computer
- Format the Memory Card (fat32, no label, default settings)
- Copy the “FWCARC10 (4).bin” file to the device, rename it to “firmware.bin”
- Eject SD card safely from your computer
- Put the SD card into the camera
- Put the power cable from the 1A charger into the camera.
- Power on the camera, accept the update with the LEFT button. (You can use Google Translate on your smartphone to read any errors/info messages.)
- It will start working, ~3 minutes or so. Let it work. Once it completes, it will say “Adaptation fail, access denied”. Don’t panic, things are going OK.
- Remove power cable, SD card. Put SD card into computer again. Format it again.
- Copy over the “FWCARC10.bin” to the SD card, rename it to “firmware.bin”. Eject SD safely again.
- Add SD to the camera, plug in the 1A charger, boot the camera. It won’t display much but the yellow led will blink left and right. After 3-5 minutes it will boot up, now in English.
Enjoy! Now you have an English serial/firmware Yi camera.
- Why is the firmware called “(4)” and “FWARC” and whatnot?
The original uploader called it (4) and I kept the name. The (4) is a modified firmware file I guess, and the normal one is the simple “Emergency mode” that you can grab from Yi. You always have to rename the candidate to “firmware.bin”.
- I have read that you just have to write a “engmode” and serial number file to the device to make it english…?
That seem to work on various models. But no on this “CABACA” one. I was in the same shoes, trust me.
- My device won’t flash, won’t do …
Make sure you are using a CHARGER and not your computer! You need a separate charger for the firmware stuff no matter what. There is no going way around this.
Also, make sure you use a “SD card for cameras”. Here is one example: https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/high-endurance-microsd
You can start using a dashcam with any SD card, but most cards will die very fast from the continuous recording. Just get a high endurance one and you will be good for a long time.
Tutorial was originally posted here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/convert-yi-dashcam-serial-cabaca-convert-to-english-version.31453/